Director’s Notes 8/23/19

I find it hard to believe that we have only been in school a week, but that must mean it was a very successful first week back. We are already into the swing of things here at NESA. It was great to see all the parents last night. The strong relationship between parents, teachers, student and administration here at NESA is a key element to the success of our school. If you were not able to make it out last night, I encourage you to attend the pARTners meeting on Sept. 10th at 7pm in the library. This is a good place to get information, volunteers, voice concerns, and more. I am at all meetings as are our NRF student representatives!

Senior fees

Senior fee forms are now available for pick up at the NESA office so that seniors may pay their NESA senior dues. Dues can be dropped off at the NESA office as well, to either Mrs. Pagona or Mrs. Crews. The dues are $35. More information can be found in the attached slide show from the parent meeting last night.

Info from Mandatory Parent Meeting

Mandatory Parent Meeting 19-20 PDF of the PowerPoint we reviewed last night at the parent meeting.

Sign up for email contact

I am going to be moving my weekly emails and general information emails/reminders to a different platform due to high numbers of email errors. My goal is to reach every single parent and student at NESA! However, to use the new system I need to voluntarily collect emails. Please visit this link and fill out the short google form so we can add you to the new system! https://forms.gle/N9oyfYgEuogW9QEA9

Please sign up, even if you are receiving my emails currently!

All contact information will be completely confidential and will never be shared with anyone. You will still need accurate information in Skyward for contact from teachers and other school officials regarding individual students.

Parking update

After a week of data intake and many meetings, the LEE/ISA/STEM/NESA leadership team has decided to open up some more on campus parking spaces for students. There is no possible way to open up enough spaces for everyone to park, so not all problems will be solved with this move, but we are hoping it will help.
One aspect of this is going to be a few NESA only spaces that we will use for a student self-shuttle/carpool system.  I still have some logistics to work out about this, but let me lay out what this basically looks like. We will have a between 3-6 parking spaces in the lot that will be temporarily assigned to NESA students that drive and stay for after school extracurricular rehearsal. The students that receive these spaces will be designated as the ‘carpool drivers’. The others students will park in the shuttle lot and then ride to and from the shuttle lot to the LEE lot with the ‘carpool driver.’ This will help move students safely, as a group to and from the shuttle lot when the shuttle is not running or when the shuttle might be prohibitive due to time constraints. All students driving or riding will have to have parent consent signed on file in my office in order to do so. The travel consent that you sign in most majors will suffice. We will begin this process on Monday, so look out for those forms.

There may be additional spaces opened still for other students, but that is currently under review.

I encourage ALL students who can to park in the shuttle lot. The shuttle lot is a patrolled and well traveled area, where other students are doing the same activity (parking) at generally the same time. It is less than a mile from campus, and less than two blocks from Nimitz Middle School on high traffic high visibility roads. There is safety in numbers. We would like to avoid students wondering around the neighborhoods for miles alone.

We will continue to monitor the parking situation and tweak our systems to be the best we can make them under the circumstances. This issue will continue to evolve as the year progresses. We appreciate your patience.

Yearbooks on Sale now!

Yearbooks are on sale for a discounted price for a limited time! An early-bird special pre-order price of $55 will only be available until Sept 1, after which the price will increase in increments over the course of the year. The Balfour online ordering portal should be open in a couple of days, definitely by Monday. You also may bring an order form and payment to room 300A. early bird order form yearbook

Contact me!

I have had a few people try to reply to the weekly e-blast, and I wanted everyone to note that it is a do-not-reply address. If you need to email me my email is spagon@neisd.net and the NESA office line is 210-356-1033.

Have a great weekend. Stay cool!

Sarah Pagona

Director of the North East School of the Arts